Sports and fitness
Pitch deadline: March 31
Article deadline: April 18
Please pitch your article ideas to Love Is Moving editor, Ilana Reimer ([email protected]). Check out our writer’s guidelines for more information on how to pitch.
Humans have been playing sports and pushing their bodies to the limits since the ancient Greek Olympics and before. Sports can be an avenue of fun, a stress-reliever, or a way to connect with a team and work toward a goal.
Appreciating and caring for our bodies affirms we are made in the image of God (Psalm 139:13-16). God delights in his creation, and part of that delight can look like pursuing excellence in sports. Developing excellence at a sport can teach us important lessons about endurance, discipline, or in a team sport, having one another’s backs. These are all great metaphors for following the way of Jesus and being part of the Church (Hebrews 12:1-2; 1 Timothy 4:8).
Sports and fitness can also give us a taste of an eternity where we won’t be limited by the aches, pains, injuries, and restricted movements most of us face in our current bodies. Many of us have health problems, disabilities, or injuries that limit free and unhindered movement. All of us will one day see our bodies deteriorate as we age. But as we are able, in the seasons when we are able, fitness and exercise are beautiful glimpses of heaven—where our existence in heavenly bodies will be painless and without restraint.
How have sports or fitness impacted your relationship with God? Or how have you seen sports impact the lives of others? Pitch us your idea.
If you’re stuck, these questions could spark an article idea:
- Does your church have a sports outreach camp? Do you have a story about how it has impacted your faith or the faith of someone you know?
- How can sports positively impact a community?
- How can we find healthy rhythms of play/recreation as adults? Why do you think God gave us these desires?
- How can sports be used in community outreach?
- Can sports be a source of unity in our polarized world?
- What can athletes teach us about faith?
- What can we learn about conflict resolution from team sports?
“Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.”Isaiah 40:30-31